This past month I hooked up with Kevin T. Johns and was so thrilled that we got to “talk writing shop” on his new podcast: The Writing Coach. On this podcast, Kevin speaks with the instructors, editors, coaches, and mentors that help writers and authors create their art, build their audience, and sell their work.
We shared laughter, tears, and of course, stories in this interview about my own writing successes and struggles, as well as how I help my clients tackle their writing struggles. Enjoy!
During the interview, I describe:
- the benefits of working with a writing coach, business coach, and professional editor
- how I turned my personal journal into a successful published memoir
- the emotional experience of memoir writing
- how I help writers find their authentic voice
- the importance of networking to find new clients
- how visual models can help the writing process
- why I don’t believe in writing drills
- how I keep my writing clients on track with their writing
- why I refuse to haggle about rates with potential clients
- how I spent my first author royalty check
I also give insight into the common challenges faced by my clients:
- Creating a writing schedule and sticking to it
- Dealing with the emotional process of writing memoir